Thursday, December 15, 2011

Loss: It's harder during the holidays...


Grief is a tough bird. She comes in waves at times you never expect. If you've learned how to deal with grief, you know that the best thing you can do is give into her when she approaches.

"Live through the Grief". That was the advice I received when my grandfather died. I was reminded of that advice when two friends died tragically during my junior year in high school. And, again when my other grandfather passed away.

Then, I lost my best buddy... Chocolate Chip. Grief doesn't visit for the people I've lost anymore. But for some reason, she still comes a knockin' every holiday reminding me that Chip and Goldie are gone. Why is this grief so much harder to let go of?

It's simple - I had a deeper connection and relationship with Chip and Goldie than I had with the people I lost. They were my confidantes when no one else could listen. They were waiting for me every time I came home for several years. They depended upon me to live. They were the equivalent of children.

If you've ever lost a pet, likely you will think of him or her this holiday season. Remember the good. Know that you were probably the single most important thing to that pet. Be thankful you knew them.

Just live through the grief. Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment